The Okines Food Co-op at Dodges Ferry is a not-for-profit group giving members access to bulk, largely organic, wholefoods at affordable prices, with reduced packaging and without the need to travel to Hobart. We are located within the Okines Community House precinct at 540 Old Forcett Road, Dodges Ferry, next to the Dodges Ferry Primary School. The Food Co-op is in the garden area behind the house.
- We engage community to get nutritious food into people’s homes
- We revive simple and healthy ways of shopping, cooking and eating
- We make ethical food choices, affordable
- We share skills, knowledge and ideas
- We are part of a community hub with a big heart
- We aim for simplicity
- There is a cooperative community of members behind the Co-op
- We are steered by a committee and driven by the co-ordinator
- In choosing our products we aim for ethical, sustainable and cost effective as possible
- We welcome you, your feedback and community knowledge
- stocks a range of dry foods – flours, rice, grains, nuts, fruits, spices – plus local honey and locally made Clean Conscience bulk cleaning products
- is open to paid-up members only
- member fees are $20 per year (or $15 concession or $5 for 3 month visitor members)
- active members in the Co-op receive a 15% discount on regular co-op prices, or 10% for volunteer hours in the Community House or Garden. Any member may purchase a bulk quantity of goods (these may be non-stock items of your choice) and receive an additional 8% discount on top of their normal price structure
- has a roster of members who open the co-op shop on Tuesdays 2pm-5pm and Sundays 9.30am-12noon (10.00am-12noon winter hours)
- is plastic bag free and encourages members to bring and fill their own containers.
A requirement of the Community House is that our volunteers have a current police check. Paperwork for this can be provided and paid for by the Community House.
The co-op opened in February 2013 with start up funding from a Food for All Tasmanians state government grant through Okines Community House.
We are open Tuesdays 2pm-5pm and Sundays 9.30am-12noon at 540 Old Forcett Road, Dodges Ferry in the community garden.
For more details please browse the rest of this website, chat to our cashiers during opening hours or email Co-op Manager Jill Vaughan.